May 12, 2009

I Don't Like It This Way

I haven't ever really "grounded" my kids. I haven't found much use for it, that is until this past Sunday, on Mother's Day of all days, when Claire decided that her week-long torment of the Mama should have a grand finale. And then I grounded her. And it was good.

I should preface all of this by saying that I am filled with compassion for Claire and understand that 1) she is a girl, 2) she is almost 10, 3) she is living in a foreign country, attending a school where no one speaks her language, and 4) she is a girl. I have done such a good job raising her that she feels confident expressing her feelings to me. And sometimes those feelings are expressed loudly, in public places, and packed with "I hate you's".

So Claire got grounded. And all the repercussions associated with a good grounding did not begin to sink in until yesterday afternoon when she got home from school, at which time she wanted to go outside to play and became very upset when I said no.

"You mean I have to just sit here and do nothing with you all day?"
Uh, yeah, grounded.
"It's no fair that Ben can play and I can't."
Uh, yeah, grounded.
"You're the worst mother ever."
Uh, yeah, grounded.

So she ran to her room and slammed the door and made this for me. She slid it under the door and knocked from the inside so I would notice it.



It reads: You might as well put me in prison 'cause that's what it feels like. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING. I'll be the best girl on earth if you'll just get me out of this prison.

Uh, sorry, grounded.

She finally cracked and broke down sobbing 2 hours later (isn't that the idea of punishment, to break their little spirits?). She was an enjoyable for the rest of the evening, put on her pajamas and brushed her teeth without being asked, and went to bed early to read.

Uh, yeah, it worked, but there's got to be a better way.

2 comments:

AngMomof3 said...

Good job, mom. She knows you mean business. And yes, it feels like there should be a better way... so hopefully it worked well enough that the memory of "prison" will prevent you from ever needing to do it ever again!

CallieBallie said...

hahah the prison note reminds me a bit of your 'I don't care if I have to stay in my room forever, I'm not getting my speeters out' :)