June 29, 2009

The Week of Ben


Mark and Claire are on a little father-daughter trip to the Austrian Alps with Jonathan and Julia this week, so I've decided to make it a week all about Ben.


Yesterday we visited Galaxsea, Jena's awesome indoor water park. There are two 105m water slides, the one pictured here and another called the Black Hole, and as you might have guessed, it is almost completely pitch dark inside. Ben is an adventurous soul and went on both of them numerous times with me. I also got him to take off his water wings and swim with me in one of the pools for a while. Then we had ice cream.


Today we visited Gaudipark, our local indoor play place. There was hardly anyone there, so he pretty much had the place to himself. He climbed in the whale, jumped on the trampolines, rode the bumper cars, slid down the giant slide, jumped in the ball pit, and generally ran amok. I had an iced coffee and read my book.


Tomorrow we're going to see Transformers 2, in German. I tried to explain to him that we wouldn't be able to understand what they were saying, but he doesn't care. Oh well. I figure we'll get the general gist and then see it again when we get home. I mean, battle scenes are the same in any language, right?


Wednesday we're off to Belantis, a Silverwood-type theme park about an hour from here. He's my rollercoaster kid, so I'm sure we'll have a great time. But we'll make sure to tell Claire that we didn't.


And last, but not least, we'll visit the Zeiss Planetarium here in Jena. It's fairly famous and we have yet to see what it's all about. Again, it's all in German, but I think the stars are the same here too!

There'll be some McDonald's grubbing and ice cream cone licking, and he's getting to sleep in my bed with me while Papa is gone. He's one happy kid.

No comments: