February 8, 2011

Winter


These are the days I hate in the Northwest.
Gray and brown. Not a drop of sunshine.
Everyone bundled against the bone-chilling cold.
Temperature right at freezing with fog in the air that I know will make slick driving later on.


So we go to the mall and put $2.00 in a machine so the boy can withstand the winds of a hurricane, as if we're not even tired of the weather.
It's warm in the mall and there's gluten-free pizza to eat.
But thinking of hurricanes makes me homesick.
Yes, we had to criss-cross masking tape on the windows in case the wind got out of hand, but at least we knew the eye was coming and more often than not a wave of beautiful weather when the storm cleared.
I wonder if Ben has the South in his DNA.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oh my god...I love this. Poetry. I can see that criss-crossed tape. I can feel the anxiety then and now that weather creates...I can see why people go "cabin crazy." Everyone needs that getaway, whether to a mall or maybe it's the cup of hot chocolate or the good book or the blog roll...

I would love to read more of those LA memories.