April 9, 2008

I Told Him About Heartbreak

Today Ben's heart was broken by a girl for the very first time. After a morning of gymnastics and library, we stopped for some lunch where I ran into an old friend who happened to be watching an old "girl" friend of Ben's. He was beyond delighted to see her, but she was there with another friend and really wasn't interested in playing with him. He stood by her table and kept saying her name in a very pleading voice, but she would just look at her friend and giggle. He came to me dejected with tears in his eyes and I tried to comfort him with excuses for her, like "She's shy" or "Maybe she doesn't remember having fun with you." He finally went off into the play structure alone and then I heard him sobbing and found him sitting in the play car with tears streaming down his face. I held him and kissed him and told him about heartbreak. Later in the car on our way to school he said "My heart just broke right in two pieces." Mine too, buddy. We sat in the parking lot at school until he was ready to go in. Just as he opened the car door a schoolmate's little sister walked by and he plowed her right in the forehead. By the time I made it around to his side of the car he was curled in a ball on the floor with more tears in his eyes. Rough day.

No comments: