June 17, 2008

A Kamiak Collage





Had a lovely Father's Day hike on Kamiak Butte. The weather is finally splendid around here, so we took a little picnic lunch and headed straight for the top to eat. We climbed rocks and sunbathed and took in the glorious view of the magnificent Palouse. It's getting to be so much fun to hike with the kids, mainly because we don't have to carry them anymore, but also because they are so into exploring their world right now. It's a gift for Mark and I to look through their eyes at the wonders they see. And of course it's always fun to watch Mark climbing and carrying on in his own boyish way (yes that's him at the top of that tree). The kids are pretty sure he's the best Papa on earth!

On the way down, Ben and I split off from Claire and Mark and I enjoyed one of those moments of insignificant significance that occurs every once in a while. Two women passed us on their way up the mountain and commented on how much they liked all the animal footprints on Ben's shirt. It made him feel so good about himself that after they walked by he turned to me and said "I love you" and gave me a big hug. I love it when he has so much joy in his little body that he just has to let it out. Glad I was on the receiving end.

No comments: