August 27, 2008

And She's Off


First day of school here for Claire. We found her classroom and met her 4th grade teacher last night, and I think she's excited, at least to see her friends at recess again! When we went to her classroom, her teacher had written instructions on the board telling the kids what to do with their supplies and Claire started whining about how she needed our help. I thought my god kid, if you can't follow basic instructions by now you're in a world of hurt! And then I thought I've ruined her by doing so much for her and that's why she can't do this, so I left her there and went to help Ben get some ice cream. Tough lessons, but there are some things you just have to do on your own, and 4th grade is one of them. She's so close to being a grown-up, but still so very close to being a baby!

As for Ben, he really wants nothing to do with kindergarten, and I found him crying downstairs this morning because he didn't want to get dressed and go. Imagine his delight when I told him that I got the day wrong and he won't be starting until tomorrow. He's engrossed in Sponge Bob right now and loving his life! But I have a pretty clear vision of what my Thursday morning is going to look like...

No comments: