December 2, 2008

Hello world.

I'm crawling out of the turtle shell known as recovery from surgery and looking around for a new shell in which to pass the time of hypothyroidism. I met with my surgeon yesterday; my scar looks fabulous!! and the pathology report confirmed the diagnosis of papillary carcinoma in both lobes of the thyroid. While we were in Spokane, Mark and I took care of most of our Christmas shopping (and don't get mad at me because I'm AHEAD, for cripe's sake I may have to sleep through Christmas!!) and had a pleasant, back-road drive home in the sunshine that burned off our perpetual fog for a few blissful hours. I start tests tomorrow to track the level of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone in my blood so that we may determine when I might enjoy a lovely stay in isolation at the Hotel Sacred Heart in Spokane.

Both of my brothers called me today. I hardly ever talk to them on the phone and then for both of them to call me in the span of a few hours was delicious. My youngest brother Ray is making plans to spend a couple of months touring Europe while we have a home-base for him from which to foray out in Germany. He is graduating with a BA in History later this month and is doing some worldly exploring before entering Law School. My brother Zach called to share with me some most excellent news about which I'll encourage you to let your imagination wander. Suffice it to say they were both little golden sunbeams for me on this most dreary day.

I picked Ben up from Kindergarten today for the first time in a while and I wish I could paint a picture of the relief and joy on his face when he saw me there. Even though I cannot help what's happening to me, it doesn't keep the "mommy" guilt from descending, especially as we're heading into the holiday season. We're keeping things quiet and minimal around here, but Claire absolutely put her foot down when I told her I wasn't planning on setting up the Christmas village this year, claiming it was her very favorite part of it all. So added to Mark's list of "Honey Do's" is fetch the boxes from the basement, it's decoratin' time!

Loving this right now and hoping to participate. Some angel of a mother-in-law left a little gift certificate for me to our local scrapbook store and I might head there tomorrow after blood tests to purchase a few new goodies. Plus I could use a few hugs.

2 comments:

Kristi O said...

GREAT news that you are alive and kicking! its really really GREAT. I think of you often and wish we could see your smiling face

AngMomof3 said...

You looked fantastic today! I'm happy to see you up and around... you're a trooper.

Wow. You're right. The "Twelve Tags" are really inspiring! And I'm a sucker for blog contests. Hope you're entering to win some goodies too!