September 18, 2009

Reading


Looks like I've got myself some readers.
That makes me so incredibly happy.
It's one of my parenting wishes, to have kids who grow up to love reading.
Claire is a very good reader and hates to ever miss reading a book before bed.
Ben is learning to read and I think he's getting a glimpse of the many fabulous places reading can take him.

Here's a couple of passages that struck me in my reading adventures lately.

That's when I came to know that to be left, sent off, abandoned, was not of the moment, but a black ditch to the side of the road of your life, a pothole that went down to China.
The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich

It was as if marriage had been a long, complicated meal, and now there was this lovely dessert.
Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

Hope you're finding some time to read something good.

P.S. This is not a normal bedtime scene in our home. Usually someone's eyes are red from crying because they didn't get the sink on the right when they were brushing their teeth and they are professing very loudly how they are never, ever, going to play with the other person again let alone read them a stupid book. You've got to take your pleasures when they come.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Wow, great. Thanks for that Louise and KW