September 5, 2008

One Test I Really Didn't Want to Fail

So be it. My doctor called a while ago with my scan results. She said "Don't freak out, but we need to go farther with this." I've been referred to an endocrinologist at the Rockwood Clinic in Spokane for a biopsy. The scan showed an inconsistency or dysfunction between the left and right lobes of the thyroid in iodine uptake. There are numerous nodules in many different sizes on both lobes, but the one nodule that concerns my doctor the most is on the right lobe and was shown to be "hyperfunctioning" during the iodine uptake test. This leads them to believe it may be cancerous. And, let me see if I can relate this in a correct manner. The fact that my bloodwork came back negative for hyper or hypo hormone production is consistent when considering a cancerous tumor.

So, after I got off the phone with my doctor and Mark, I googled the Mayo Clinic and scared the shit out of myself.; four types of thyroid cancer ranging from "high five, no big deal" to "you will be dead within a year of diagnosis". I think I'm going to get blitzed tonight and go to bed early. Tomorrow may very well be the first day of the rest of my life!!

4 comments:

humanluge said...

Love you girl and you are in my prayers.

Shawna said...

Quit scaring yourself...this is just another hurdle in your life. Thinking of you!

Malinda said...

Thyroid problems I can relate to. Cancer I have not delt with. I am so sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this. I know that the Doctors at Rockwood are good, I have been there myself and seen the Endocrinologist. That is just too big of a word. Keep us posted and I will be thinking of you.

Carrie said...

I talked to Nancy yesterday and she filled me in. I hate that you're having to go through this shit!! I know you'll power through it and be fine. I'm thinking of you...LOVE!!