August 12, 2009

Good News, She's Not Pregnant

On Monday the kids and I had a little get-together with our local phlebotomist. The kids were to be tested for Celiac's and I was to receive a pregnancy test so that I could take my radioactive iodine today. Only the hospital couldn't find the orders that were faxed to them for my pregnancy test and they couldn't reach my doctor, so they drew two vials of my blood anyway and assured me that this would cover any tests my doctor ordered and they would work it out.

I arrived in Spokane this morning to take my pill, but there was a holdup because the nuclear medicine lab could not find my pregnancy test results. We called my doctor, who called the hospital, who didn't know anything about it and said they hadn't seen me since July. It turned into a ridiculous cluster f#$% and in the end I signed a release stating I refused a pregnancy test so I could take the medicine.

When I got home there was a message on the answering machine from the kids' doctor saying the tests looked good, but she needed to speak with me. When we spoke she said "Both the kids are negative on the Celiac's, and you'll laugh when I tell you this, but Claire is not pregnant." Of course, the lab ran the pregnancy test on 10-year-old Claire instead of me, even though her birthdate, which they make you verbally verify before allowing you to leave the lab, was printed clearly on her vial of blood. You really gotta be your own advocate out here!

So I'm radioactive and nauseous and a little on the PMS side of things. Mark took the kids to the woods and out to dinner and I watched Milk, which was sad and made me cry. I wiped my tears and snot with kleenex that I deposited directly into the garbage can and then immediately washed my hands. I think it's going to be a long couple of days.

2 comments:

AngMomof3 said...

I'm glad it's just a couple days! Looking forward to hearing your results (and looking forward to actually running into you one of these days!)

Karen Tews Lien said...

Hopefully this is the last of it and you will be CLEAN! Hang in there.