September 11, 2007

Happy Birthday(s)

Today is my brother Ray's birthday (he's the one on the right). He's turning the ripe old age of 22 today. Happy Birthday Ray!
It is also the birthday of my brother-in-law John. I won't tell you how old he's turning, but suffice it to say he's even riper. Happy Birthday John!

I woke up thinking about these two and then I turned on NPR and was immediately reminded that this is our country's sixth anniversary since 9/11. Claire was 2 years old, Ben wasn't around yet, we were living in a different house where we had satellite television and I could watch the horror unfold right before my very eyes. Mark and I both got very choked up this morning trying to explain to Claire what had happened on that day. You have to be very careful when you're talking to the kids about "bad" people because it can lead to a lot of apprehension, but I think it's an important historical fact of our life as Americans of which she should certainly be aware.
So I'll be mourning along with the rest of the country today, but I'll also be thinking about these two great guys who are luckily still in my life. Happy Birthday Ray and John!

No comments: