September 12, 2007

Poetry For Your Wednesday

The yellow jackets and paper wasps are incessant on our farm. Mark has spent many hours hunting and spraying them and even with all of his effort it is sometimes impossible to sit on our porch in the heat of the day. Ben is terrified of being stung, so in an effort to give his some control we got this bug zapper for him before we went camping this summer. I must say I'm a little ashamed of the pleasure I have derived from killing them.

As much as I'm a lover
of nature, I cannot abide
the attention of this yellow jacket.
The incessant humming drowns out
the song of the birds
and I do not want to share
my coffee with anyone.
I am here looking for solitude.
But who is the intruder really?
Me, with my decadently scented
beverage, my cork-soled shoes full of smells
of faraway. I am enticing.
I have learned to live
with bees this summer. I give them
a wide berth and a flick of my hand.
I soothe my terrified children.
I put bubbles in my bird bath and hope
for death. Just because I fear the sting.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I put the lovely pig tail in Mark's hair...but he's the one who left if there! I love the photo of Ben! See you tomorrow!
Erin.